Picked Fresh Daily (early May – end June)
The first taste of spring veggies!
We have been growing asparagus since 1982.
We grow exclusively a variety called Guelph Millennium, bred in Ontario, at the University of Guelph. This all male, perennial vegetable takes 3 years to truly get established and can produce a crop up to 20 years!
We sell two grades of asparagus. #1 consists of straight spears, uniform in size, with compact tips. #2 asparagus has all the same flavour and freshness as #1, only the spears may be various sizes, slightly bent or have tips slightly open.
Whichever grade you choose you can count on getting delicious fresh asparagus at Barrie Hill Farms.
Asparagus is a nutrient-dense food with a good source of vitamin-C, fibre, potassium, iron, magnesium, selenium, etc. Asparagus is low in sodium with a significant source of antioxidants and higher levels of rutin than other commercial varieties. With only 20 calories per 1/2 cup, our Guelph Millennium asparagus makes the perfect topping to any meal!
- After harvest, the remaining asparagus spears grow into tall fern-like plants
- There are 4,500 acres of asparagus grown in Canada, 3/4 of that is in Ontario
- In ideal weather condition an asparagus spear can grow 25cm in 24 hours
- An asparagus patch can be productive for up o 20 years
- Before preparing, wash thoroughly to remove and sand and grit
- Store in fridge by wrapping stalks in a. damp towel or stand upright in a glass with a bit of water