- 8 ounces Chickapea Pasta. I used spirals but all shapes would work.
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, pine nuts or cashews (your choice)
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
Cook pasta according to directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain, rinse immediately and set aside.
Toss asparagus with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet with roasted garlic. Roast at 350 F for 20 minutes.
Heat small saute pan and toast pine nuts until brown. About 3 minutes.
In food processor, combine basil, cheese, walnuts, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the juice from half a lemon, asparagus and garlic (peeled) until smooth and creamy.
In a large bowl combine pasta and pesto, tossing well to coat spirals. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water if extra creaminess is desired.
Top with chopped tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.
I doubled this recipe and used it on chicken as well. Delicious!
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 379mg | Potassium: 625mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1400IU | Vitamin C: 30.7mg | Calcium: 295mg | Iron: 5.9mg