- 1 loaf whole grain bread or challah, farmer’s market bread – your choice
- 8 eggs you can use 4 eggs and 4 egg whites if you prefer)
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk, whole milk, skim milk)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- zest from 1/2 the orange
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup granola
- extra maple syrup for drizzling
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, maple syrup, extract, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg. Whisk well.
Oil a baking dish (about 9 x 13) or ramekins and fill with bread.
Pour the liquid mixture over the bread and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes, mixing once or twice to be sure all parts of the bread are moistened.
Mix in the blueberries.
Bake the casserole at 350 F. for about 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with half of the granola; return to oven and bake another 15 minutes or until there is no longer any liquid between the bread.
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Top with raspberries, blackberries and remaining granola. Drizzle with additional maple syrup.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 173mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 395IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 2.3mg