An easy, colorful and elegant salmon dinner with a wonderful combination of sweet and spicy that will have your taste buds tingling. Who knew strawberries and salmon were so amazing together!
I’ve created a simple rub for the fish and the salad is a matter of chopping and tossing. It doesn’t get much easier really.
The ingredients are a little quirky but when I saw a recipe online for coriander roasted strawberries I knew this would work with my favorite fish as well. I’m here to testify that they are a fantastic combination and I loved it!
This method of cooking is going to give you melt-in-your mouth deliciousness. You’ll want to use a good pan, preferably cast-iron. I have regular cast iron as well as enamel-coated cast iron pans that I use for almost everything. You’re going to sear it briefly on high heat then pop it into the oven for a few minutes and presto – dinner is served!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 5 ounce pieces of wild salmon
- 1.5 tsp coriander
- 1.5 tsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp Sriracha sauce
- sea salt
STRAWBERRY TOMATO SALAD (from Southern Living)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 pound assorted small heirloom, cherry and grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp loosely packed lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine coriander, brown sugar, chili powder, Sriracha sauce in a small bowl. Season with salt. Pat salmon dry and rub mixture into both sides of fish, including skin. Let sit for 15 minutes. In the meantime make the salad.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large non-stick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until nearly smoking. Sear salmon fillets skin-side up 2 minutes. Flip, then transfer skillet to oven and cook 7-10 minutes more or until salmon is just cooked through. (depending on thickness) Be careful not to overcook. Mine took 7 minutes and my oven tends to run hot.
- Good salmon is expensive so if unsure, use a thermometer. It makes life so much easier!
- Combine all ingredients and serve in bowl or arrange on platter leaving room in center for salmon. Make this first because the salmon is going to require your attention.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Tomato Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms