Raspberry Chipotle Sauce on Roasted Chicken is the a unique taste that let’s you celebrate the berry season with style. If you’re a berry lover and want to experience every flavor possible, this recipe is a must make!
I cooked them on a rack over a foil covered baking sheet so the clean up was a snap. You’ll want to cook the chicken with a simple salt and pepper first and add your sauce in the last few minutes of roasting. Prepare the sauce while the chicken is in the oven and presto – easy, healthy dinner.
If your family eats a lot of chicken, this is a budget-friendly meal that changes up the flavour wonderfully and the kids will love this. If you decide to make this in the cooler months, frozen raspberries will do just fine.
I’ll admit, I was a little skeptical to take the first bite – they looked delicious but raspberry and chicken? No need for hesitation – scrumptious! The raspberry flavour is absorbed into the skin and it tastes like a natural combo – a home run!
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks (8-10)
- kosher and freshly ground black pepper t
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pints raspberries
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobe sauce, chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobe sauce (from bottle of chiles)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (raw, if you have it)
- Fresh basil or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels, ensuring it's completely dry. Generously salt and pepper and place on oil-sprayed baking rack on top of foil covered baking sheet or large casserole pan.
- Roast chicken for 30 minutes, check on it at 20. Use your thermometer - we want it at 185 F.
- While chicken is roasting make your sauce. Spray a medium sized saucepan and sauté onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add raspberries, chiles, adobe sauce, lime juice and honey. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat. (see note about raspberry seeds in post)
- When chicken is close to being done, remove from oven and baste one side generously with sauce. Return to oven and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove, turn chicken and baste again, returning to oven for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes, tented, before serving.
- Top with fresh herbs and sesame seeds if desired.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Raspberry Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms