Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chicken Chili can be made quickly in your crockpot, Instant Pot or on the stovetop. You can customize the flavors with your favorite spices and ingredients and a vegetarian option is easy too!
You can use a pumpkin puree or can puree your own! I wanted some naturally roasted flavors so I brought home a pumpkin from the farm, cut it into chunks, roasted it and then pureed. Oh my goodness – the flavor! It’s the first time I’ve roasted my own pumpkin but it sure won’t be the last.
Pumpkin Chili Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and you likely have most of them in your pantry right now.
- Pumpkin puree. Pick up a pumpkin next time you’re at the market or use canned.
- Chicken breasts . I use organic for the best flavor. If you want a vegetarian dish, simply leave it out. There are lots of other flavors that make this dish delicious.
- Vegetables – onion and lots of red pepper. For some extra zip, add some jalapeno.
- Chicken broth – or use vegetable broth
- Red kidney beans. You can use black beans or chickpeas.
- Seasonings – chili powder, cumin, garlic, paprika and cayenne. Add a little cinnamon for some fun!
- You can add a wee bit of tomato paste if you like. It would add some thickness if that’s your thing but I found this to be a great consistency without it.
- Cheddar cheese would be a great topping as well.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chicken Chili can be made quickly in your crockpot, Instant Pot or on the stovetop. A creamy delicious chili with surprising flavors!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, parsley, green onions, cheddar cheese
Add all of your ingredients into a 6 quart slow cooker, making sure to get some liquid underneath the chicken breasts, give it a good stir, and cook your pumpkin chili for 6 hours on low in the Crock-Pot.
Remove lid and shred your chicken. Stir and serve with your choice of toppings.
Instant Pot Recipe:
Set your 6 quart Instant Pot to the saute function and add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add crushed garlic and saute for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Add chicken broth and be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen up any bits that might be stuck.
In a small bowl whisk together the pumpkin chili seasoning ingredients.
Add chicken breasts, pumpkin puree, red kidney beans and seasoning ingredients to the Instant Pot. Give it a few stirs and make sure some liquid gets underneath the chicken breasts.
Cover Instant Pot with lid, ensure the pressure release valve is set to sealed, and turn on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking the chili, let chili sit in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. (10 minute Natural Pressure release.)
Release the pressure valve. Shred chicken breasts with a fork.
Serve pumpkin chicken chili with finely chopped green onions and avocado slices and cheddar cheese if desired.
Stove Top Method
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium high. Add onions, garlic and red pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. (Add desired amount sliced chicken from your store bought rotisserie chicken or cook chicken ahead of time)
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 -40 minutes. Top with green onions, avocado and cheddar cheese if desired.