This Strawberry Rhubarb Compote is so delicious! It was an experiment that I was a little leery about because I started out with the intention of making a simple rhubarb compote but wanted to avoid adding a lot of sugar. Yummy strawberries….and then the maple syrup…and then freshly squeezed orange juice. Result – DELISH and HEALTHY! Skip the refined sugar.
Best of all, this yummy little sauce is ready to eat in 10 minutes. You can use this on yogurt, oatmeal, ice cream, cake, trifle or go all out and make a rhubarb bellini! I think this would be great as a sorbet as well – just freeze it. Then combine this with ginger-snap cookies? Whoa – now we’re getting crazy!
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb (or frozen), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 3/4 cups fresh strawberries (or frozen), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- In saucepan, bring rhubarb, maple syrup and orange juice to simmer; cook, stirring, until slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in strawberries; cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Let cool before storing in jars.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Rhubarb Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms