Don’t we all love strawberry/rhubarb pie? Of course we do – it’s delicious! But other than pie, do you use rhubarb in any of your dishes? I thought not! Today we’re going to fix that and I guarantee this rhubarb chutney will change your life!
I used fresh picked rhubarb from Barrie Hill Farms with garlic, onion, golden raisins, white wine, honey and ginger. I bet you started drooling just reading those ingredients!
You can serve this on crusty bread with a sharp cheese. I used Temiskaming cheese. If you don’t have access to this cheese, a sharp white cheddar or goat cheese will be perfect. This would also go well on chicken or pork and can be served hot or cold. It is an easy dish to prepare and takes no time at all. There’s a fair bit of honey in this recipe but it’s needed to balance out all the flavours.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- kosher salt
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 12 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add wine and raisins. Return to heat, and bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Add sugar, and stir until it dissolves. Stir in half the rhubarb. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, until rhubarb breaks down, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining rhubarb. Raise heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until second batch of rhubarb just begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Let cool completely.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Rhubarb Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms