Barrie Hill Lemon Blueberry Cashew Cake is that irresistible combo of lemon and blueberry. It’s creamy, delicious and healthy!
Ok, on to the dessert – these pictures were taken on the fly because my friend, Paula and I were both so busy chatting that I forgot about taking more pics but these will give you a good look at her super delicious treat. This was the first taste test of her experiment and we were both delighted with the results.
Paula used Barrie Hill Farms frozen blueberries for this recipe and we both agreed that they are amazing. When you open up that package, the wonderful aroma of fresh berries greets you and you feel as though you’ve picked them that morning. Fabulous!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 2 large lemons
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 can coconut milk (add a little more if you want it thick)
- 1 600 gram bag of Barrie Hill Farms Frozen blueberries or fresh if available.
- 2.5 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain
- Process nuts into a meal using food processor. Set aside.
- Process dates until small bits remain and it forms into a bal. Add nuts back into processor and blend until a loose dough forms. It should stick together when you squeeze a bit between you fingers.Too dry? Add more dates. Too wet? Add more almonds.
- Line a small baking dish with parchment paper and pack down the crust using your fingers. Place in freezer and let set.
- Soak in water 4-6 hours then drain. (note…to speed this process up, pour boiling hot water over cashews and soak for one hour).
- Juice and zest lemons. Place all filling ingredients into food processor and blend till smooth. For coconut milk, be sure to use the ‘cream’ part first as this makes the filling richer tasting then add the liquid after.
- Taste mixture to ensure it has a good lemony flavour. Add more lemon juice and zest if needed.
- Once mixture is to your liking, pour it into the cake pan, layering it over the crust evenly.
- Place all topping ingredients into a fry pan and sauté till blueberries soften Pour blueberry mixture over cashew cake and serve.
- Garnish on the side with additional fruit if desired.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Blueberry Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms