This quick and easy Beef Stir Fry with Asparagus, Snap Peas & Fiddleheads is our celebration of spring. Quick, easy and very versatile, this dish packs a flavor punch!
Why We Love Stir Fry Dishes
- It’s quick, easy and a great way to add more vegetables to your children’s meals
- It’s versatile – include your favorite veggies and use the opportunity to clean out the fridge!
- Double the recipe for leftovers the next night
- Add some rice and this recipe is perfect for meal prep
- It’s a great way to stretch your food dollars
We had some exciting news this weekend! Farmer Morris announced that you can now Pick Your Own Asparagus at the farm. Barrie Hill Farms is the first farm in Ontario to do this and we are very excited to send hungry customers out on the wagons to the asparagus fields!
Tips for Cooking Stir Fry Recipes:
- If you’re adding a lot of beef, cook it in batches. Lay the strips down and let cook for 2 minutes undisturbed on high heat. Turn over once golden brown and cook for 1 more minute.
- If you want your dish super saucy because it’s going over rice, double the cornstarch/water mixture
- I wanted to feature asparagus and fiddleheads so my dish is all green but this is a great recipe to include lots of colors. Kids respond to bright colors on their plates and different textures as well.
- Serve on wild rice rather than minute rice. Wild rice is an excellent plant based protein and has a unique flavor. Many gourmet blends are available and some can be cooked in just 20 minutes.
- NOTE: Fiddleheads cannot be eaten raw. To learn more about these fun ferns, click HERE.
Follow us on Facebook for more delicious farm-fresh recipes, and updates on our growing seasons!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Fresh Dinners, A partner with Barrie Hill Farms in bringing fresh recipes to your table.
More Asparagus Recipes from Barrie Hill Farms
Stir Fry Beef with Asparagus, Snap Peas & Fiddleheads
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 12-16 ounces Strip loin steak (or your favorite cut)
- salt and pepper - for steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces snap peas, washed and trimmed
- 4 ounces fiddleheads, washed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water. (optional to add at the end. If you don't want a super saucy dish, skip this final step)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook rice according to package directions. Fluff with a fork when done. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on high heat. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Add beef strips. Cook on one side undisturbed for 2 minutes, turn off and cook for 1 more minutes. Cook in batches if required. Set aside on a plate.
Heat additional oil if required. Add ginger and garlic and heat to medium high. Add asparagus, peas and fiddleheads with beef stock, sherry, tamari or soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper as required. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Return beef to wok and heat until warmed through.
Optional, add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.
Spoon over cooked rice and serve.